|Celebrating 30 years, Popper & Yatvin is a Philadelphia firm
concentrating in criminal defense and police misconduct
litigation in state and federal courts. We also represent
students and parents in special education and disability
Law Offices of Popper & Yatvin
Popper & Yatvin
230 S. Broad St.,
News and Events
- On October 25, 2017, Popper & Yatvin partner, Alan L. Yatvin, addressed law
enforcement and civil society representatives from West Africa (Burkina Faso, Mali,
Niger and Senegal) on police reform experiences and strategies. The program was part of
the United States Department of State’s Study Tour to Review Use of Force and De-
escalation Training, Enhance Community-policing Practices, and Strengthen
Interagency Coordination in the Sahel
- On August 22, 2017, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit agreed with
Popper & Yatvin attorney, Alan L. Yatvin, in M.R. v. Ridley School District, ruling that
a parent who seeks retrospective reimbursement to remedy a school district's failure to
honor its obligations under the "stay-put" provisions of the Individual's with Disabilities in
Education Act (IDEA) is a prevailing party entitled to attorney's fees. Referring to Yatvin,
the Court wrote: "[W]e note that the litigation here was conducted by highly qualified and
experienced counsel..." Footnote 9.
- The 2017 list of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers includes Alan L. Yatvin of the
Philadelphia Law Firm Popper & Yatvin. This is Yatvin’s 14th consecutive year of being
honored, having been named a Super Lawyer every year since the program’s creation in
- Martindale-Hubbell has again in 2017 recognized Popper & Yatvin partners Howard D.
Popper and Alan L. Yatvin with the highest possible level of professional excellence -
AV Preeminent. This peer review rating reflects a combination of achieving a Very High
General Ethical Standards rating and a 5/5 Legal Ability rating.
- On June 12, 2016, The Inquirer published a commentary by Popper & Yatvin partner
Alan L. Yatvin commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's
landmark decision in Miranda v. Arizona.
- Martindale-Hubbell has recognized Popper & Yatvin partner Howard D. Popper for his
30 years of service to the legal community.
- Popper & Yatvin partner Alan L. Yatvin has been elected to a three year term as one of
the 18 members of the National Board of Directors of the American Diabetes Association
(ADA), commencing January 2015. Read more on our blog.
- The Fall 2014 issue of The Philadelphia Lawyer, the quarterly magazine of the
Philadelphia Bar Association, features an article on Popper & Yatvin partner Alan L.
- On November 8, 2014, Alan L. Yatvin was a member of the panel entitled: Ethical
Considerations During Pre-Trial Proceedings, at an ethics training by the Association of
Defence Counsel Practising Before the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former
Yugoslavia (ADC-ICTY) held an ethics training in The Hague, The Netherlands.
- On April 29, 2014, Alan L. Yatvin was sworn into the Bar Association of the Kingdom
of Cambodia and assigned as provisional International Co-Lawyer for a confidential
suspect under investigation in the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia
(ECCC), also known as the Khmer Rouge Tribunal.
- On April 29, 2014, Alan L. Yatvin gave written testimony on behalf of the American
Diabetes Association before the United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee
on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights on “Law Enforcement Responses to
Disabled Americans: Promising Approaches for Protecting Public Safety”
- Popper & Yatvin Settles Suit Over Philadelphia Police Shooting of Emotionally Disturbed
Man. Alan L. Yatvin was interviewed for a story which played on Philadelphia’s public
radio station, WHYY-FM. Click here, then click on the play button ► below the headline
to listen to the story.
- Popper & Yatvin obtains $1.8 Million settlement in fatal police shooting. Read about it
- On behalf of the American Diabetes Association, Popper & Yatvin partner Alan L.
Yatvin, along with Daniel Lorber, MD, presented a training on diabetes at the New York
City Police Academy on January 31, 2014. Click here to read more.
- Alan L. Yatvin’s work insuring that police respond appropriately to persons with diabetes
is highlighted in the January 2014 issue of the American Diabetes Association’s magazine,
Diabetes Forecast. Click here to read the article.